Wednesday 1 January 2014

Beers of the Year - Chris

I've always been a bandwagon jumper, and as everyone else is banging on about the best bits of 2013 it would be remiss of me to do otherwise.

So here's my top three beers of the year:

3rd - Quercus Smoked Oak Porter

This was a real surprise as I wasn't expecting anything great from porter, and wouldn't normally touch it with a bargepole. It was delicious, hugely complex, and only £1.50 a bottle...and I've not seen it since. Yum.

2nd - Hawkshead Windermere

Another one I didn't expect much of, but this was sensational (and also £1.50!!!). And again, I've not seen it since. Gah.

1st and BEER OF THE YEAR - Thornbridge Jaipur

The beer that started this all, really. Nelly and I had a weekend away (er. not like that) in the summer and he turned up with a box of this stuff, and banged on all weekend about how ace it was. I must say I didn't really appreciate it at the time, but when I got my own bottles and sampled them in the studious solitude of my home, I was blown away...and took a box with me on holiday. So, so good.

Pint of the year

As opposed to bottle of the year, y'see...well for me it's MEANTIME at the Hermitage, Hitchin. A great venue, and personally an eye-opener as to the superb quality available on keg these days. Keep challenging them preconceptions!

Happy new year all - and here's to some quality ales in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment