Tuesday 29 October 2013

Shipyard Old Double Thumper at the Ty Coch, Porth Dinllaean.

The Ty Coch, at Porth Dinllaeaen on the Llyn Peninsula, was recently voted the third best beach bar in the world. I'm not so sure about that - the views and location are amazing, the food pretty good, but traditionally the beer has been somewhat lacking (and mega expensive); and what else is a pub for?

Anyway, I popped in yesterday for a mid-walk pint, with no great expectations. However, I was pleased to see they'd gone for something interesting on the one (one!) real ale tap present. 



I'm a fan of both American craft ales and English real ales, and this strange collaboration - between Shipyard of Maine and Ringwood of Hampshire - could feasibly have gone either way. As it was, it did pretty well - a dark ale, caramel and smoky, fruity and nutty with a long bitter finish. I have no idea what a "collaboration" of this nature entails, but the upshot is pretty good nonetheless. 

1 comment: