Thursday 5 September 2013

Adnams Lighthouse

The bottle had been in the fridge for a week. Since the terrifying experience with the Sole Star, it had remained there, resolute and unblinking as it stared me out each time I opened the door. Should I take it out and free up the space - or is that giving up? Is it cowardly to quit a beer?

Well, yes it is, so I came home from work tonight and cracked it open.


As you can see, it was well-carbonated with a good head (ok, you can't see the head in the pic, but you take my word for it). I approached it with a bit of trepidation, as you might expect after the Sole Star, but you know what? It was pretty darn good.

The Lighthouse is described as a Pale Ale, but although there are some hops coming through it's no IPA; it's malty, but not in a bad way, and simple, uncomplicated and rather tasty. At 3.4% it's got more flavour than you might expect from a relatively weak beer (a lot more than the S*le St*r), and whilst it's not amazing, it's pretty darn good and I enjoyed it. 

Well done Adnams - pulling it back from the brink.

No comments:

Post a Comment